Friday, September 05, 2014

Masters Of Music:María Callas

María Callas
I couldn't resist starting our Masters Of Music series with the uniquely gifted and creative, María Callas. As an artist, people are more often times than not curious to know where I find inspiration in my own work. The truth is that my inspiration comes from those who preceded me in my art form and also other art forms not necessarily related to my art - notably fashion.

As such my reason for sharing my admiration for Maria Callas is both music and fashion related. She was noted for bringing the Bel Canto technique back to the forefront of classical performance in voice and secondly, she was an incredible style icon. To me, she's reminiscent of a perfect blend of Elizabeth Taylor meets Audrey Hepburn in beauty and aesthetic.


On stage


I love this stage shot for the evocative mood and drama - something she was noted for bringing to her technically daring and emotive interpretations of the works of Puccini and Parigi to name a few.

As Norma
María Callas was both famous and infamous, a prima donna in the truest sense of the word and some people claim to either revere or absolutely detest her voice and interpretation. Yet for me, the thing I most admire about her  is her genius for blending theatre with the refined expression of those feelings and emotions we might find too unpleasant to acknowledge or speak of.  Shakespeare might say that the spiritual quality of her voice is wrought with passion and feeling. Here she is performing Vissi d'arte (Tosca). 

What do you think? Did your heart swell? Mine always does when I hear this performance.

:: Image Souce: Callas.it::



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you, don't be shy! And come say hello on Instagram and Twitter @Bella_Millou